Very Important: All applicants should send the complete requirements for the audition that represent your highest performance in technical and musical abilities. This will enable the faculty to evaluate and place the applicant in a grouping with the best match.
A Friendly Note: Even though our faculty will find out later how well you can sight-read when they help you with your prep-lesson and chamber music coaching, this audition helps the faculty determine who you’ll be in a chamber group and what music you’ll be playing. If you will be in an orchestra, your seating will be decided from this audition as well. We want to hear you play your best, so it’s OK for your private teacher to help you decide which excerpts to play and to help you with them.
Audition Video Requirements
- Provide a 7 minutes total (maximum) video on YouTube
- Each audition should contain, except for guitar, a two or three octave scale of your choice (choose the most difficult scale that you can play WELL).
- Include up to two to four minutes of a solo of your choice
- Performance of specific excerpt(s) (note metronome markings as indicated):
- Violin-Viola-Cello Students: Two out of the excerpts posted below (click on the instrument). Two or three octave scales of your choice (the most difficult ones that you play WELL). And a 3 minute solo. Pay attention specially your intonation, rhythm, dynamics, articulations, etc.
- Bass Students: Your most comfortable/difficult excerpt(s).
- Piano Students: We recommend your teacher to glance through the excerpts below and decide which one is most appropriate for the student to play and record, plus a short etude or technical exercise. Special note to piano students: You will receive your music in early July for the purpose of practice. You will also need to submit a “progress video” 2 weeks before the camp. Depending on the need, OPUS faculty may need to contact you to provide some “jump start” lessons before the camp starts.
- Clarinet Students: The excerpt from Beethoven Symphony No.6 posted, at end of first movement, beginning 2 before K and big solo in the second movement, beginning one before D. Less advanced clarinet students – you have the option to play the above or you may elect to play another piece.
- Harp Students: Two contrasting solo pieces (one slow, one fast OR from two different musical time periods: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, etc.) plus a short etude or technical exercise. (No harp excerpt is provided.)
- Flute Students: Please play from the excerpts below: Gossec Tambourin for technical and Gluck Minuet and Dance of the Blessed Spirits for something more lyrical. Both should be pretty short, 2-3 minutes each. On the Gluck you may do no repeats and/or just skip the Minuet and play just the Dance of the Blessed Spirits.
- All: Please see excerpts below
We are especially interested in rhythmic accuracy and tempo, so be sure to use your metronome as you learn the excerpts.
All YouTube links should be sent via email to campdirector@napOPUS.org. In the body of the email message, please include the following information:
- Camper’s Name
- Camper’s Instrument
- Camper’s Grade as of Fall 2017
- The link(s) to the YouTube video(s)
Note: It is not difficult to create YouTube videos. Setting it to private viewing is somewhat cumbersome. Therefore, please set it to public viewing, and delete this video after July 15th. If you are unable to record your audition and/or create your YouTube video yourself, OPUS staff members are available to help you for a small fee. Please contact musicdirector@napOPUS.org for more information.
If you have any questions at all about the audition process, please email campdirector@napOPUS.org.